15 September 2010

Discoveries in the Stacks: A Library Adventure


Recently I had to reorganize my bookshelf to house more beloved books. It took some time and some problem solving, but I was able to come up with a temporary solution (until I have more room and money to buy and utilize the gigantic bookcase from Ikea I so desire). This isn't even half of my book collection. There is much more in a bookshelf in my closet and stored away in boxes. Needless to say, due to the lack of funds and space, I am returning to my home-away-from-home: the library.

O, how I love the library! J'adore le library (my attempt at French—I know my Spanish though—Me encata la biblioteca!). I walk in and the smell of dusty shelves, paper, and leather bindings immediately comforts me. When I am down in the dumps I just venture to the library and spend hours in the stacks browsing. There has been many times when I find a unique treasure and I bring it home to investigate this piece of gold from cover to cover.

Now there was a recent occurrence when the rain was pounding the pavement, I just finished a long day at the school, and I was feeling a little inadequate. So I took a detour on the way home and stopped by the library. Dashing through the rain from my car to the doors, I couldn't help but feel my heart's feet skip, and as soon as I entered and pulled the hood off my head I smiled. I couldn't help it. People were in line with their friends and kids held stacks of books waiting to check out, and others were browsing the aisles. I was overjoyed to be in a place where people also treasure books (instead of what those Satanic electronic book mongers call "books") and the thrill of discovery!


On this very day I checked out Diana Gabaldon's Lord John and the Private Matter while I wait for the release of the graphic novel The Exile, as well as request another popular book that was currently checked-out (until today when I picked it up), George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones.* I am excited to start reading this after a dear friend of mine recommended it to me.


So this very evening, I will be nestled in my bed, the scent of lavender in the air, and the sound of rain on the window panes as I read and smell my library-owned paper novels. O, what joy it is! (And I daresay I'm saving my eyesight from those iPad/Kindle/Nook reading folks who have a constant light dilating their pupils—disclaimer: anything I have an opinion on please know that I don't intend to intentionally hurt those who love their iPads; it's not a direct insult. I think the iPad is cool too, I am just very passionate about books and the book industry. Sentiment outweighs the conveniences of technology for me.)

*Side note: A Game of Thrones will become a HBO series in 2011. Something to look forward to.

2 comments:

  1. I love what you did with your bookshelf! Looks great! And i agree.....libraries are fantastic. Although I avoid the Bend library because it's just too new to have the dreamy feeling a library is supposed to have. The Boston library on the other hand.....old old old and perfect for long afternoons! I will take you when you come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! One of my dad's architect friends designed that library (he's the one that owns that house in Sunriver that we stay at when we go as a fam). And you should see the house?! Very eccentric woodsy type house. So I wouldn't be surprised if the library looks like that...

    I would LOVE to visit the Boston library and just rummage through the stacks and archives! I would have a field day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...